Love at First Sight

This is a rant. This is a rant because I completely disagree with the whole idea of love at first sight. I know, I know, it's a beautiful flower that blossoms under the gaze of that Prince Charming of yours. But the thing is, the way it's represented is completely wrong.
Believing in love at first sight has worked its way into culture as being a romantic, a dreamer. I am both of those. Love at first sight is considered the mark of true fairytale romance, the stuff of Cinderella and Juliet. But when you really think about it, it's false. Because it's love at first sight. Sight only shows you what is aesthetically pleasing; it only goes so far. Say what you will about burning eyes--it's simply incorrect. That you can love someone in an instant because of their appearance is very different than the ability to have true love! You don't know the person. I believe you can only truly love once you have shared another's hopes and dreams, wisdoms and follies. Just think of this quote from Disney's new Cinderella:
"She was not a beautiful girl! Well, she was a beautiful girl, but she was so much more that a beautiful girl!"
Kit loved Cinderella not for her beauty (love at first sight due to appearance), but because she was a dreamer, because she cared about the world around her and possessed true kindness. That is what we think of as love at first sight-that is what we strive for! To love because of true traits that will be unchanged by time and age is to love in a way that love purely based on appearance can never be.

Well that was a passionate rant! Please, PLEASE comment! I love comments. They make me happy.

If you comment, I will send you a personalized internet hug.

Comments

  1. This is so good! I very much agree:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Most of the people who I've gotten to be the best friends with are people who I glanced at and thought "well, I don't like that person."
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That about friendship is definitely true for me, too.

      Delete
  3. This is great, Ilse! I think it's true that real love takes time to develop.

    Also, my roommates and I were reciting poetry to each other on our way to FHE tonight, and it reminded me of you! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit From St. Nicholas: 2017 Edition

5 Types of OTPs

What's in a name?