Irene Adler is Once Again Dissected (by Yours Truly)

Hey Imaginers! Guess what?

Have you guessed yet?

Well, anyhoo, I finally started reading the actual Sherlock Holmes books. And oh-my-goodness, are they good. I haven't read A Study in Scarlet yet, but I have read The Sign of the Four and "A Scandal in Bohemia". I HAVE MADE IT THROUGH THE ORIGINAL STORIES, AND SHERLOCK, AND I STILL LOVE THEM BOTH.

Let the magic of that sink in for a moment.

So, I thought about how I kinda dissected the Sherlock Irene Adler a while back, and I decided to do that with the book Irene. By the way, I really do love the way that Sherlock uses the original stories as a base and kind of builds off that. So, yes, the Irene Adlers are very different, but I'm completely okay with that and it kind of rocks.

So.

Ahem.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

This version of Irene I actually...like. The premise of the story is that an American actress and opera singer (Irene) was sent romantic letters by the Crown Prince of Bohemia (now the King). They presumably had some sort of love affair, because there is a photograph of them together. But he (as is revealed) cut it off because of her station. In the story, Irene is actually nice. She's a smart, pretty, kind woman who "has a soul of steel". The King also says that "she has the face of the most beautiful of women, and the mind of the most resolute of men." And, she is underestimated by our favorite detective, Sherlock Holmes.
Anyway, she foils Sherlock's plot.

Irene is a great character, but because "A Scandal in Bohemia" is a short story, a bit underdeveloped. By that, I mean that you don't get the full character analysis in Sherlock. She has very few lines, except for a letter she leaves in her house for the detective. Anyway, she's a great character, and I would definitely recommend "A Scandal in Bohemia" to any Sherlockian who has read other Holmes stories.

So, have you read any Sherlock Holmes stories? Did you like them or not? What is your opinion on...well, both Irene Adlers? And last but not least, if you've read Sherlock Holmes books, what is your opinion on how Sherlock adapts them? Tell me in the comments!









Comments

  1. I've only read one original Sherlock Story (A Study in Scarlet!) and so I haven't even met Irene yet!! I do so love her in the movies (with RDJ and Jude Law) though, she is soooo well played and complex and interesting. :') She always plays rather a villainous role though? So I'm curious to see if that's how she's presented in the original books too!!

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading A Study in Scarlet-it's good! YES YOU MUST READ A SCANDAL IN BOHEMIA. He he...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Types of OTPs

What's in a name?

Beautiful People| Emma/ Hester/ Dandelion