Theme Challenge & Top Ten Tuesday

Hey Imaginers! I apologize for my lack of recent posting but that is about to be remedied. First things first, the Theme Challenge is once again finished! If you don't know what that is, click here. But readers, once again I have had a miniature turnout. Please, please, PLEASE enter this month! I will give you e-hugs and smile at you fondly. So, without further ado, the random name picker has awarded the title of winner to (drumroll, please):

Rosie McCann!

Her story is here:

“I wouldn’t mind dying in a place like this.” Ray sank into the enormous plush armchair, an eloquent picture of total bliss. He balanced a bowl of candy on one knee as he shoved his baseball cap to the back of his head.
I had to laugh. “That’s all you can say?”
“What’s wrong with it?”
“Well, for one thing, Ray, we happen to be here for a job interview.”
“Oh, yeah, that’s right. The surroundings gave me a momentary brain lapse.”
“So will you please straighten up and look a bit more professional.” I swiped the bowl of candy off his knee and slapped it back on the immaculate marble coffee table, jerking his baseball cap off at the same time.
“Knock it off, Lilly, can’t you?” He grabbed another piece of candy. “Besides, it’s not a job interview, not really, anyway. We’re just going to work for dear old Uncle Albert.”
“Dear old Uncle Albert, as you call him, is a perfectionist and believes that it’s a sin to wear anything less than a three-piece suit to work. And you know it.” I tugged at the collar of my shirt. The summer heat was stifling, but I wasn’t taking any chances.
“Yes, well, we’re just going to be taking care of the place and the dogs while he’s gone anyway, so I don’t see why it matters.” Ray got up and strolled over and plucked a white porcelain cat off of a bookshelf. “I bet this ol’ cat here cost two thousand dollars, Lilly.”
He spun around, tossing it from hand to hand like a baseball. “This is going to be the best summer of our lives. Just you wait.”
“Ray, stop tossing the cat.” I tried to keep the panic out of my voice. “Uncle Albert will be coming any moment – oh!”
The china cat fell from Ray’s hand and sped towards the floor. A million shards flew into the air, landing in a tinkling shower around his feet. 
The big double door at the end flew open and a trim little man strode into the room. He glared daggers in our direction, his hands on his hips. “WHAT just happened?”
I gulped, and looked wildly over at Ray. He stood among the wreckage, stunned.
Somehow, I had the feeling that this might not be our best summer, after all.


I absolutely love this story. It seems to me that it would make a wonderful full book. Ray and Lilly are realistic characters who I already love and know all about without an information overload. Ray is such fun, and Lilly is likable and hopefully will end up loosening up a bit. If not, well, I still love her.

The next challenge, which I beg on bended knee that you will enter, is thus:
The Extravagent Pluviophile

Enjoy that! And now, I have decided to start doing Top Ten Tuesday, a link-up with The Broke and the Bookish. This week's list is "Ten Books to Read When You're in the Mood for X". 
For X, I picked lighthearted magic adventures. And I decided to use books that I actually had and to take photos of them, so it's remarkable that I was able to come up with exactly 10! (Okay, I did reject one to make it 10 even. But it didn't fit anyway!) And so...LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

1. Once On A Time by A.A. Milne.

This is a "book for adults", which means it's no Winnie the Pooh, but it is still a great find for tweens and up. It's a rather silly story about a princess and a king and an evil Countess who loves diaries and swineherds (or kings pretending to be them). Definitely read it.

2. The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker

I absolutely love this series. It deserves 12 and a half stars, but unfortunately, I only have 5 on hand. It's about a princess who kisses a frog because she's bored with royal life and turns into a frog, and has all sorts of magical adventures and love and witches and trolls and DRAGONS and...yeah. Wonderful things like that.

3. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
I had to! I had no choice! (Just read it. I don't even know what to say, except that I didn't get through 10 minutes of the movie.)

4. Dragons at Crumbling Castle by Terry Pratchett

This isn't exactly the very very very best Terry Pratchett book out there, but this is one that a) has no inappropriate content, and b) I have in my possession, which is the important thing here. It's a collection of short stories he wrote when he was a young man and has a bit of a Roald Dahl-ish feel. I would recommend his Discworld series, except for the inappropriate content. They are simply funny and wonderful besides that. The picture also has one of my two copies of The Carpet People, his first novel.

5. Half Upon A Time by James Riley

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE THIS SERIES. OH MY GOODNESS. OH MY GOODNESS. I know that I'm showing the cover of the last book. I have the first book, but I don't know where it is. BUT JUST READ THIS SERIES. NOW.

6. The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler 

Once again, not the first book but what I had on hand. I like this series. I don't know what to put here-mermaids? Lifeguards? Drugged donuts? Just look up a blurb online, peoples.

7. The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbit

This book=delightful. I don't think there's a lot of magic...but mermaids and hilarity and IT'S JUST A DELICIOUS BOOK, OKAY?

8. The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards

That's right. The Julie Andrews wrote this book. Not only has she captured our hearts on screen, she's an amazing writer. This book is cheerful and fun and awesome and WHANGDOODLES. Once again, there's not exactly magic...but hey. Imagination is magic! I also recommend her book Mandy, which is not magical but in the picture.

9. The Princess Tales (both volumes) by Gail Carson Levine.

Yes, yes, another Gail Carson Levine. But her books are good! These are just magical and hilarious and fairy tales and I love 'em.

10. Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan

I saved this for last because it's kind of cheating...it's not magic, it's Greek mythology. But it's hilarious and a must-have, so...I MAKE THE RULES HERE!

Thank you for reading, Imaginers! Read all the books on this list and don't forget to enter the Theme Challenge! 

Comments

  1. Ahhh I LOVE PERCY JACKSON. <3 That is definitely a fun light magical adventure. And it is sort of magic, right?! Despite being mythology?! :P I adore that whole series, hehe.
    I've only read Ella Enchanted but I MUST read some more by that author! (Also the movie is like nothing like the book. xD)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...the movie drove me nuts because she was humiliating herself. I hate when characters in movies embarrass themselves. :) You MUST MUST MUST read more Gail Carson Levine-she's fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Rosie!!

    Ah, that is a lovely theme! :)

    Huh, A. A. Milne wrote fantasy? How interesting.

    I love Ella Enchanted! I'm rereading it now, actually.

    I haven't read Emily Windsnap, but my friend has and isn't the cover so gorgeous??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is, and always will be, breathtaking. :)

      Thank you about the theme!

      Delete
  3. Goodness, I WON! Randomly, of course. Still, I wasn't expecting it :P I'm so glad you liked it, Ilse! Ray is fun, isn't he? I think Lilly would probably relax a bit, too, once they got to know their Uncle. I think if I wrote a book it would probably be about adventures the three would have together :)

    Ooh, another challenge! I'll write something and come back to post it by replying to myself.

    I loved your list too! I just read Ella Enchanted myself, and thought it was waaaaaaaaay better than the movie. I was really surprised. (But in a good way :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the movie absolutely killed me...:P. I'm glad you're entering the challenge!

      Delete
    2. Here's my entry:

      Dearest Bess,

      I miss you so much. Sometimes, I want to tell you a secret or an idea I’ve got, but when I run upstairs, you’re not there . . . Sparks is getting more attention than she’s ever got or perhaps desired. I love that cat now because she reminds me of you. Remember how I used to carry her outdoors all the time because she would sit all over my sewing projects?
      Today was the first day at my new high school. I walked into my first class, determined not to show how nervous I was, and immediately tripped, because my sneakers were soaked and slippery from the pouring rain outdoors. Darn! And to make things worse, there was a BOY sitting across the aisle watching me. A BOY, Bess!
      He only grinned and asked my name, but I was positively CRIMSON with embarrassment. Why do BOYS always have to witness my blunders?! Anyway, his name is Tony. He has dark hair and his eyes are a dark, dark blue. He seems nice, but is sort of weird. In a good way, I guess, though.
      He said he liked that it was raining out and went on to tell me all the things he loves about rain. I remember you once telling me there was a name for that, a name for people that go around randomly loving rainy weather. What was it? Oh, I remember – pluviophile. He’s a pluviophile – and he writes STORIES. He actually writes fiction. What do you know? I’ve never met a guy who did that. It’s usually girls like you.
      By the way, can you send me some more snippets of your story?! I so love to read your stuff. I really don’t know how you it.
      Well, I think I’ll say good-night. I’m really tired tonight, it being Halloween and all. I was dressed as Rey from Star Wars. I was a big hit with the little girls!

      ~ Tons and tons of love from your little sis Charlie. I can’t wait for spring break, Bess. I so want to see you again.

      P.S. That BOY Tony had the most torn, shabby, beat-up backpack I’ve ever seen. No-one could call him extravagant. That’s a new word I learned today :)


      I hope you like it! Tell me what you think!

      Delete
    3. Fabulous! Like your last story, it sounds like it would fit well in a novel. Charlie is such a likable, fun character!

      Delete
  4. Awesome job, Rosie!!! I love your story :-) (Although I must say I'm glad I wasn't there to face Uncle Albert, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I can tell you, his bark is worse than his bite :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit From St. Nicholas: 2017 Edition

5 Types of OTPs

What's in a name?