Books. Books. And more books. And two movies.

IMAGINERS! HARK! I RETURN FROM THE DEPTHS!

Ahem.

Anyway.

Books: my school just held a used book sale. How could I not buy the 8 books and 2 movies I did on my way to and fro? I mean, come on. Paperbacks were 50 cents and hardbacks and movies were a dollar.

Here are my finds, and pictures:


Courage for Beginners by Karen Harrington:
This is the only book I've fully read of my finds, and it's really good. It's about what happens when story-loving Mysti Murphy's dad has to recover from a head injury in the hospital. What's so bad about this is that her mother has this thing called agoraphobia, which basically means that she's afraid of new and dangerous situations and doesn't leave the house. Oh, and as she starts seventh grade, her one friend decides to start a social experiment to become an "in" hipster and abandon her. It's funny and true and I loves it. (Yes, that "s" was necessary.)

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech
Honestly, I only got this because um, excuse me, SHARON CREECH. I've begun it and it's pretty good so far, but written all in poem form, which was a surprise as I (obviously) didn't open it until after I bought it.

Heart to Heart by Lurlene McDaniel
I'm not quite sure what this is about?? Except organ transplants? And friendship? And probably death? And my school guidance counselor recommended it?


The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
Looks good. Think I saw someone read it. Let's buy it, shall we?

Dove and Sword by Nancy Garden
It seems to be about Joan of Arc's friend. Why not give it a try?

Gilded by Christina Farley
Very good so far--Korean mythology and Strong Tough Heroines so far! Except...I kind of don't like Marc? Not because of him? But because I'm not a fan of "crushes". Though I've heard they are quite common. Apparently I am a late bloomer in that respect. I am grateful for that.


A horrid picture, I know. But the idea was good.

The Finisher by David Baldacci
Epic fantasy, a cool cover. What's not to love? (Remember, it was one dollar.)

The Time Travelers by Linda Buckley Archer
It looks interesting. Except apparently the kids aren't sarcastic??! I am lost.


The Movies:
I have begun a DVD collection. Besides these two lovely specimens, I have the first two Harry Potters from the Thrift Store. These are Muppets and Narnia. Of course I needed them.



GUYS! I'M FINALLY READING CINDER!

So for literally years, people have been recommending this book to me. Again. And again. And again. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

(I mean, it was already so crazy that I asked my mom to get it for me from the library because I couldn't go. I was handing her the list of books to get while she was on the phone with my best friend's mom. And ON THE PHONE CALL, not knowing about my list, that family recommended the series. I mean, seriously. This is crazy.)

It's really good so far! I'm just getting a little paranoid and thinking that everyone's a Lunar.

But a few characters clearly are.

Anyway. 

Farewell, Imaginers!

Have any of you read any of these books? Are they good? Also, I have a new installment of Love and Fate on the way!

Comments

  1. OOOH YAY LIBRARY SALE! I can't let those sales go by either. XD I mean, those books need adopting, right?!? They need us. (Especially for such good prices. <3 XD) And eeep, I love Narnia so yay for your starting DVD collection! I don't recognise any of the other books though. WAIL. Oh wait. No I have heard of The Thief and I've heard it's excellent. :D

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the books need adopting! I'm glad you've heard good things about The Thief.

      Delete
  2. While I have seen (and own) both the movies, I begrudgingly admit that the books are all news to me.
    And, yes, you are a tad bit odd on the whole "no-crush" ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well. *grins* I assume that the movies are awesome? I mean, how can you go wrong with Narnia and the Muppets?

      Delete
  3. I absolutely loved Cinder, so I hope you enjoy it too! I still haven't read any of the rest of the series yet though, so I'll hopefully get round to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it, and I love it! It's amazing. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. It's REALLY crazy how many people that I know have either recommended the Lunar Chronicles to me or given positive reviews. I started it last summer and thought, "This is weird. Cinderella and cyborgs just don't work." But I'm going to try it again, I think. :)

    Do/did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES READ IT. It's amazing and wonderful and BROKE ME but at the same time FIXED ME. Cinder isn't actually a lot like Cinderella. She's just greatness. My only problem was that the "big plot twist" was a little obvious. But I would still give it 12 out of 5 stars.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit From St. Nicholas: 2017 Edition

5 Types of OTPs

What's in a name?