Beautiful Books: Jessa & Tiff

OKAY SO I'M SUPER LATE.

big deal.

I mean, it's not like NaNo starts in 4 DAYS or anything.

OH MY GOSH I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WITH MY NOVEL.

Breathe, Ilse. Breathe.

Okay. So here goes.

beautiful books

Yeah. I'm too lazy to say anything about what this is. So just go to some other blog or use one of the addresses in the pic if you don't know.


 What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?

Okay, so I recently started using an idea journal to record thoughts, quotes, and inspiration. I highly recommend this! I have kept so many ideas/quotes this way. I've had this idea for a month or two now. It reminds me of another brainchild I had, which is very unwritten but has the title of "One Mad Crazy Summer". Aaand I just realized that the six paragraphs or whatever I began are set in the school year. Points to me for crazy. (By the way, One Mad Crazy Summer is loosely based on my mom's childhood and best friend, Charlesty. Great name, right?)

Beyond that, this story is close to my heart because the protagonist, Jessa, struggles with anxiety, as does my family, including me. For the first time maybe ever, I'll be drawing on my life experiences with this book and follow it where it takes me.

Describe what your novel is about!

So, my outline's very rough. (It has two entries. Sad, right?) But the rundown is this:

Jessa is a girl with anxiety, so no one fully gets her. Tiff is a girl with spunk and a constant smile, so no one fully gets her. When Tiff moves in to Jessa's sleepy town, maybe two girls no one gets can get each other.

There may also be:                                      
--Rollercoasters
--Awesome parents
--Mean parents maybe??
--Food
--Great American Road Trips
--Child psychologists obsessed with dolphins


What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!

small town//open road//dolphin offices//cozy houses//wooden rollercoasters//yellow

Introduce us to each of your characters!

JESSA: A 7th or 8th grade girl who doesn't really have any friends, not because she has anxiety, but because no one is the right fit for her/it just didn't happen for some reason. She has anxiety and no one really understands that but her parents, until Tiff comes along. I'm trying to add to this but honestly?? I have nothing to say because NOT PREPARED HERE. :(

TIFF: A girl in Jessa's grade who has a lot of outer spunk and chutzpah. She knows how to make Jessa smile and calm down, but really she needs more hugs. She may or may not have mean parents, I don't know. Daring.

How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)

Well...
I'm a very "jump in this thing" writer. Usually an idea comes to me and I start it...and then I don't finish it. :)
So maybe howling.

What are you most looking forward to about this novel?

Writing it, honestly. Getting past the beginning, meeting my characters, and taking them on an adventure.

List 3 things about your novel’s setting.

1. Contemporary (WEIRD for me!)
2. Little town
3. Big (state?) fair

What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?

Jessa's goal is to get over her anxiety, but her anxiety stands in the way. She doesn't really understand how something so bad could  be a blessing, or how she can be normal regardless.

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?

Jessa learns to be more okay with herself. She gets some chutzpah and tries doing things that scare her. She worries less.

What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?

1. Friendship
2. Just a can-do attitude. Don't be afraid. Fear doesn't have anything for you. Go out and have an adventure, and if it doesn't work out, you can learn from it.

I want readers to feel connected to the characters and to just feel like they can do anything.

You made it! Okay, I have one written snippet ready for you:

"C'mon." Tiff pointed to the coaster. "Let's go."
"Are you CRAZY?" I yelped. "People die on roller coasters!"
"No, stupid people die on roller coasters."
I gave her a look.
"Look, one out of a billion idiots dies on a roller coaster. And one out of a billion people is that stupid."
I said, "Your numbers are very off."
She said, "Are you coming?"
"Fine, but I"m not putting my arms up in delight."
"Naturally. That would not befit a Jenna."
"Naturally."

Note: I do not discredit the memory of anyone who has died on a roller coaster. I think it's sad. Please note that Tiff is just trying to get her friend on a roller coaster.


Yay! You made it to the end! Please link to your Beautiful Books posts so I can read them. Are you doing NaNo? What do you think of Jessa & Tiff? And did you google the word "chutzpah" while reading this post? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Types of OTPs

What's in a name?

Beautiful People| Emma/ Hester/ Dandelion