5 Types of OTPs

Friends. Romans. Countrymen.

I greet you from the darkest, blackest time of night. (Shh it's 9:20 but it's winter so that's like the equivalent of midnight. And I'm tired. So please no judgement.) I'm sorry I haven't posted in forever. I've just been busy with the holidays and school restarting and whatnot. And I went to London!!! And saw LES MIS!!!!

Yes, I saw the immortal Les Miserables. Yes, it was amazing. Yes, I will probably fangirl about it shortly.

But that's another post. For now, I am going to introduce you guys to the five types of OTPs!

:)

OTP:
"One True Pairing. Meaning the your favorite combination of characters in a fandom."

-Urban Dictionary

1. The Awkward
This is, by far, the most common type of OTP, for two reasons. One, this appears often in books, and two, awkward OTPs are really, really adorable.
Your textbook Awkward OTP knows, deep in their fictional hearts, that they love each other. Except they don't really fully realize it. The reader knows it and ships them harder than chocolate and peanut butter, but the characters are too busy being idiots and probably saving the known world or whatever to realize that
a) they like the love interest, and
b) that their feelings are requited.

Obviously this makes bookworms squirm and occasionally convulse into manic laughter in public when they read about the Awkward ship.

EXAMPLE: Lucy + Lockwood (Lockwood & Co. by Jonathan Stroud

"Then I realized he was still holding my hand.
He realized it at the same instant. Our fingers kind of fell away, swinging back into vigilant positions at our work belts, ready to seize a salt-bomb or rapier at a moment's notice. Lockwood cleared his throat; I pushed my hair out of my eyes. Our boots did small, intricate shuffles on the frosty ground."

2. Denial
This is another easy-to-come-across OTP. Denial OTPs are ones in which, similarly to The Awkward, characters know that they have feelings for the love interest, but they deny it to themselves! Sometimes, they convince even the readers, but in their heart of hearts you know there's an OTP hiding somewhere.

EXAMPLE: Blue + Gansey (Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater)

"If fate thought it could tell her who to fall for, then fate had another thing coming."

3. Oblivious
Okay, let's be honest. This shouldn't really be a category, more a phase. In most books where you get both perspectives, OTPs experience this--they like each other, but each think the other doesn't like them. It's quite idiotic, really, and leaves bookworms sore from screaming at their paperbacks.

EXAMPLE: Sara + Tom (The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald)

"She hadn't said a single word about them. She might have left dozens of abandoned boyfriends in different corners of Sweden.
Not that it had anything to do with him. It was just that she would be going back to them, which, he quickly thought, couldn't happen soon enough."

"She thought about how she had been looking forward to seeing Tom again, the first time since that evening on his sofa, and about how she had been planning to be completely relaxed and natural, but still looking better than normal somehow."

4. Instalove/YA Dystopian/Unrequited
This type of OTP is a bit rare, because often it's less adorable than Awkward or Denial. This is the type where Marius and Cosette meet on a crowded city street and gaze into each other's eyes, seeing for the first time a life in which love and joy and all things good could prevail, yaddah yaddah yaddah.
Now, there are three main types: Love, Passion, and Unrequited.
1. Love
This is your classic love at first sight, not common in more modern stories, but the old Marius-and-Cosette, Cinderella-and-Prince-Charming, Books-and-me standby.

EXAMPLE: Like I said, Marius + Cosette (Les Miserables by Victor Hugo)

“The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.” 

2. Passion
This is the type in YA Dystopian, the "oh my goodness I'm 16 and I will love him forevah and evah and look he's so attractive posing on that windy cliff I mean I'm already 16 I can make this commitment". Obviously, not my favorite. And often over dramatic

EXAMPLE: Cassia + Ky (Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie)

“Our time together feels like a storm, like wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape. It blows around me and tangles my hair, leaves water on my face, makes me know that I am alive, alive, alive. There are moments of calm and pause as there are in every storm, and moments when our words fork lightening, at least for each other.” 

3. Unrequited
An Unrequited OTP has one side in love with the other, while the other side is usually just confused. 

EXAMPLE: Maxon in Maxon + America (The Selection series by Kiera Cass)

“I'm not so stupid as to believe that you've completely forgotten about your former boyfriend. I know you think there are others here more suited for me and this life, and I wouldn't want you to rush into trying to be happy with any of this. I just... I just want to know if it's possible...” 

5. Confused
This is perhaps the most infuriating type of OTP. They like each other, but not really, and what about that other guy, and actually they love each other, except what did they do? but the feelings... but their mixed-up loyalties... BLAH BLAH BLAH. Etc. 

EXAMPLE: America in Maxon + America (The Selection series by Kiera Cass)

“I didn't want to be royalty. And I didn't want to be a One. I didn't even want to try.”

Somehow now it's 11 PM?? And I'm exhausted. So bye.

What are other types of OTPs? What's your favorite? What's your OTP?


Comments

  1. Oh I love this list!! I ADORE awkward and denial OTPs the best. <3 But my ultimate favourite has to be hate-to-love OTPs. Like the spend the whole book fighting and arguing and then they end up saving each other's lives several time sand it's loooooove. I always ship that so much *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it's great. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit From St. Nicholas: 2017 Edition

What's in a name?